Highights of the Gallery’s History
The Beaverbrook Art Gallery was gifted to the people of New Brunswick by Lord Beaverbrook and officially opened to the public on September 16, 1959.
|1983||The Hosmer Pillow Vaughan Gallery and the Sir Max Aitken Gallery were opened to the public.|
The Beaverbrook Art Gallery was granted the designation of New Brunswick’s official provincial art gallery, thus assuming a leadership role within the regional arts community. This recognition, along with the formation of the Senator Hatfield Outreach Programme and Memorial Fund, has allowed the Gallery to acquire a range of historic and contemporary Canadian art, tour numerous exhibitions throughout Atlantic Canada, as well as publish books, catalogues and brochures.
The Marion McCain Atlantic Gallery was opened to the public.
The Gallery’s temporary exhibition galleries, the Canadian, British and McCain Galleries, as well as the Video Room and the Lower Gallery, underwent major renovations that included new wall surfaces, lighting systems, climate controls and sound system.
In recognition of the 40th Anniversary of The Beaverbrook Art Gallery, the Gallery published The Beaverbrook Art Gallery Collections: Selected Works, a guide to the collection. It was the only handbook of the collection published since its opening in 1959.
Reconfiguration of Lower Gallery area and establishment of an education centre.
Retrofit of entrance area and new signage in front of Gallery.
Yearly operating grants approved from the Province of New Brunswick and the City of Fredericton.
Completion of Strategic Plan 2008 – 2010 and admission in the New Brunswick Foundation for the Arts, Arts and Heritage Stabilization Program
50th Anniversary of the Beaverbrook Art Gallery.
The Beaverbrook Art Gallery thanks The Honourable Keith Ashfield, Member of Parliament for the Constituency of Fredericton, Minister of Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency and The Honourable James Moore Minister, Department of Canadian Heritage for their valued contribution to the Phase 1 Revitalization Project, 2009 - 2010.